Mother Child Center
Delivering Miracles℠ and caring for their moms
St. Elizabeth’s Hospital has been delivering babies for more than 140 years and continues to serve as the hospital of choice for families seeking a family-centered, high quality, maternity experience. We realize that mothers have choices about their delivery, including where to deliver. At St. Elizabeth’s, we consider it a privilege to be able to assist families with one of the most memorable and intimate moments of their lives. That’s why we hold ourselves to higher standards, guided by our Core Values of RESPECT, CARE, COMPETENCE and JOY to give patients region leading, high-quality obstetric care.
From the individualized care we provide for mother and baby, to the educational programs we offer expecting families, we offer a wide range of resources, services and special touches to celebrate deliveries, including:
Delivering Miracles Program
Let St. Elizabeth's Mother Child Center provide a personalized program for you and your new arrival. The Delivering Miracles Program offers:
- Individual Counseling Sessions
- Private Facility Tour
- Post-delivery Support
To register for the Delivering Miracles Program, call our Program Coordinator at 618-234-2120, ext. 2615 or send an email to Heather.Tomaszewski@hshs.org
. You can also download and mail the registration form
Labor and delivery
The Mother-Child Services department at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital provides quality care to pregnant women and their families throughout the birthing process. Our anesthesia providers are available 24 hours a day to provide epidural placement and other pain management, as needed. A new Hydrotherapy tub is also available for mothers-to-be, (who meet safety guidelines), as a pain relief alternative to epidural treatment. Aromatherapy is also offered in conjunction with the hydrotherapy tub, with several relaxing scents for mom to choose from.
After you and your closest loved ones have welcomed your new baby in your private labor, delivery and recovery room, you will be transferred to your Mother-Child post-partum room. We encourage rooming in for you and your baby. Dads are encouraged to stay as well!
Welcoming the new arrival
A diverse team, including a childbirth educator and a clinical resource nurse are available to you after the birth of your baby. Our maternity nurses are skilled at helping new moms and babies learn how to breastfeed, and our lactation counselors provide extra support. We smooth the transition to home with individualized instruction and a customized education program, including educational tools you can view in the privacy of your room.
. Private rooms allow mothers, babies and families to enjoy their time together in privacy. After delivery, you have a 98% chance of staying in a private room, until you go home. During this time, we are conscious of your need for privacy, and you will find staff knocking before entering your room.
Well Baby Nursery
. We believe all new parents should have choices. One of these options is our Well Baby Nursery, available whenever you need rest. The amount of time your baby spends in your room is your choice, and the dedicated colleagues of the Mother Child Center will work with you to accommodate your wishes. Our Nursery staff is flexible and willing to provide comfort and safety so you are able to be well rested prior to going home.
Amenities and special touches
- Hydrotherapy. A Hydrotherapy tub is available to mothers-to-be (who meet safety guidelines) as a pain relief alternative to epidural treatment. Immersion in warm water can promote relaxation and decrease pain in the early stages of labor. The water provides a soothing stimulation of nerves in the skin, promoting increased blood flow and reducing pain causing signals. Hydrotherapy can also increase uttering blood flow, decrease maternal blood pressure and shorten labor.
- As an added bonus, aromatherapy is offered in conjunction with the hydrotherapy tub.We offer several scents for mom to choose from.
- Lullaby Time. Lullaby Time takes place from 2:30-4:30 p.m.. each day, which allows new parents to either enjoy uninterrupted time with their newborn, or sleep if needed.
- Room service for visitors to the Maternity Unit. Any visiting guest of the new mom may order a meal from our room service menu for the low cost of $5.00, payable in cash to the room service attendant.
- Footprint wall. After delivering, take advantage of a special and unique photo opportunity by adding your baby’s footprint and date of birth to our hospital walls.
- Newborn chimes. The Mother Child Center has a special chime system installed at the desk of the Labor and Delivery Department to announce and celebrate the arrival of your newborn. As a new mother, you may select a member of your family to activate the chimes by pressing a button. This four note chime can be heard throughout the hospital.
- Photography. Mom365 brings beautiful newborn photography right to your hospital room. Free portrait sessions are provided, with the comfort of viewing portraits within minutes. Custom portrait packages are available and if you desire, we can we can post your baby’s pictures to the Mom365 WebNursery® .
- Pastoral Care. Our pastoral care department is available to provide spiritual support for the new mom and family at the mother’s request.
- Questions from home. Once you’re home, new questions often arise. So we have created a 24-hour dedicated phone line that you can call with questions for our lactation consultant or childbirth educator. Your call will be answered as soon as possible.
- Other amenities include: Wi-Fi access, TV and DVD players in each room.
For general questions concerning breastfeeding or general mom and baby care:
618.234.2120, Ext. 1260
To register for classes:
618.234.2120, Ext. 2300
To ask questions, or speak with one of our nurses:
618-234-2120, Ext. 1254
618.234.2120, Ext. 1260
618.234.2120, ext. 1913